Friday, September 25, 2009

More like birth of a story in three hours or less

I didn't really know how to approach this so I just dove right in and ended up typing away for over three hours, which is too long because I have to get ready for work, so some of the last things I tried wrapping up kind of quickly. I was surprised, however, how quickly and easily most of this rolled right out of my brain. In Word it is just over three pages single spaced. So here we go:

Dialogue between Drew and Aaron
D: How’s your car coming?
A: It’s alright, come here, hold this for me.
D: Why is this necessary?
A: I don’t know, (with a shrug of his shoulders) I found a guy that was selling it for cheap and I could use it.
D: Ha, this is a helluva lot of work for something that you “could use”, besides your car is fucking fast already, why do you need it to be faster?
A: Are you kidding? That fucking Prelude almost took me last week, you were there.
D: Ya key word, almost.
A: I should be easily stomping imports, I want start doing this shit for real.
D: What do you mean for real? We go to Midway every week.
A: No I mean I wanna start doing this for money.
D: Haha you have lost your mind. Are you kidding me? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard you say all night. Dude neither one of our driving records can even handle a speeding ticket let alone racing and shit. We are pushing our luck as it is and now you want to start doing this more and for money?
A: You don’t have to come.
D: So you are serious. Dude we should talk this through a little bit.
A: No, like I said, I’m doing it. I’ve thought it through, this is the next step for me, I gotta do something. I hate installing leather seats and things and not making shit. I went to that expensive ass school to teach me all these things and the best job I can find is installing sunroofs for a dick boss getting paid $12 an hour. It’s bullshit and I’m fed up with it, I gotta make a move, aren’t you tired of sitting around here not doing shit with your life?
D: Dude last time I checked I was working my way through college. You went to a car school to follow your passion. I’m half through with my education, I still don’t even know what I want to be, and you already have yours and are in a job. Things take time, you gotta learn to walk before you can run bro. I think street racing is a bad idea, neither one of us needs to get deeper into that lifestyle. Going to Midway is fun and fucking around with other cars and racing here and there is ok, but when you talk about doing it for money, that changes the game up.
A: I’m tired of wasting my time. I want to get my school paid off, my mustang paid off and I want to start making some real money. I need to move out of my mom’s house man. I knew coming into it that the automotive industry takes time, but I didn’t think it would take this long, I just need to do something now, to get me moving along faster. If I could get some money saved up I could start my own shop. You and me man.
D: All I’m saying is that doing it illegally isn’t going to make it easier, it might be quicker, but you gotta look long term. What are you gonna do when you blow your motor? Or crash? What about get caught? What are you going to do about those things?
A: Dude, I’ve seen it man, I’m smarter than that, I know of ways I can do this legitimately. I’ve thought it through. You know those old warehouses off of Orrin? Back there is perfect, nobody is ever back there at night, I figured we could find people around Midway and take ‘em back there. So are you gonna be down or what?
D: Dude c’mon. First, you know I got your back no matter what, but you gotta listen to me. This isn’t the way to do it.
A: Just come with me tonight.
D: Alright, but if it starts to get sketchy we dip.
A: For sure, no problem, you let me know and we are outa there.

Setting:
Drew always found it odd walking into Aaron’s mom’s dimly lit garage. Looking around the unfinished walls was Patty’s stuff all over, lawn chairs, baseball/softball mitts, bicycles, weed eater, women’s golf clubs and the rest of her stuff, but the garage floor itself was Aaron’s domain. Whenever he had a project Patty’s SUV was the first to go outside to make space. Tonight Aaron’s smoke gray mustang sat diagonally across the floor, hood up spilling bright florescent light from underneath. His overcompensatingly big red 60 gallon air compressor sat in the corner occasionally deafening them when the motor kicks in to keep pressure built up. Between that, Aaron’s Snap-On impact wrench’s constant whirring, and some sort of random mix of hip-hop, rock, and country music, it was a matter of time before Patty rolled out of bed to tell us it was enough for the night. Then they would have to turn down the music and switch to his hand tools. Tonight there was another oddity, Aaron’s project must involve some sort of burning of plastic because after it hit Drew’s nostrils, that’s all he could smell even when he went inside to grab a them a couple beers.

Aaron’s Character:
1. Aaron is a smaller guy, five foot ten or so, 135 lbs soaking wet, which he always hated. He would complain to his buddy Drew about how he can never gain any weight which always pissed Drew off because he, like most normal people, had exactly the opposite problem. Aaron is always well kept, never ever leaving the house unless he hair was properly gelled, his clothes were clean and wrinkle free, his white undershirt’s collar always showing just a little bit under his shirt, but it always had to be even, and shoes that either matched some aspect of his shirt, belt or hat. Aaron was always self conscious about his looks so he would always be extra meticulous when getting ready; he had to look perfect, which usually paid off because he had no problem with the ladies.
2. Aaron has always kept to himself. He doesn’t have a problem making friends, but he usually keeps his distance. Even his best friend who he has hung out with forever, Drew, can’t crack into him. There have only been very few occasions, most of them involving lots of beer, where Aaron has opened up to Drew a little and show his true self. Aaron used to be very close to his father. When Aaron finished up at his car school, when he moved back it was his father’s place that he moved into, and it was almost like a bachelor’s pad. They were very close up until his father remarried. This has taken its toll on Aaron commitment to relationships. Although he has no problem finding amazing chicks, they usually don’t last very long. The one relationship that Drew thought was going to actually work out, after she asked him to move in, he broke up with her and bought a car. In essence showing were his true love lies.
3. Aaron is always looking for the next best thing. He moved to Wyoming to go to a very good and expensive car school hoping to pursue his passion in the automotive industry, but after moving back, he carries nothing but dead end jobs doing things like repairing interiors, or installing sunroofs with managers that always seem to be very mean and demanding. He also has held a part time job since high school in an automotive parts store, mostly to get discounts on parts and tools for his garage. His passion and pleasure however lay with his various vehicles.
4. Aaron’s biggest fears come in the form of people’s judgments. Aaron doesn’t want to end up a screw-up like his sister; he wants to be somebody. He is constantly aware of people’s eyes, always trying to see if they are judging some aspect of his appearance.
5. What Aaron wants most is to be satisfied. He desires most to be satisfied with his looks, his car, his friendships, his job, and his relationships.

Before the conversation:
Alright, the collar is good, my hair is good, shoes are cleaned, that should be everything. Damn, I forgot to clean out my car. It’s alright, Aaron glances at the clock on the microwave, I still have five minutes. He grabs his keys out of the bowl on the counter and starts out the door.
“By honey, good luck with your date!”
“Thanks mom, don’t wait up, I’ll see you tomorrow.”
Aaron throws open the door to his mustang and quickly grabs the two Mountain Dew bottles and receipt from Target off the floor of his back seat and throws them away. A quick brush off of the dust on the dash board, and, perfect, he is off.
After the date, Aaron drove back home, alone. Amanda was really nice, and seemed really into him, but he saw her looking at his hair and Aaron didn’t take her joke very well about being almost the same size. Also, even though she said she didn’t care, Aaron thought he saw her snicker a little bit when he told her he is living in the basement of his mom’s house. That’s alright, I couldn’t have her Chevy Cobalt ever parked in front of my house anyways he thought as he rolled down the window and turned up the radio.

After the conversation:
His quick shift into third still made the tires chirp. Aaron had found someone to race, the wager: one thousand dollars, most of Aaron’s savings account. The Dodge Neon SRT-4 that he was racing shouldn’t be a problem for his Mach One, even stock, but it was keeping up. Drew was at the start line still, rooting for his buddy when one of the Neon guys’ crew came up to him and said, “Hand over the money.” As soon as he had finished his sentence Aaron was pulling away from the Neon and was for sure about to win. “Ha, I think you are confused buddy.” The two other guys he was with took a step towards him. “No, I don’t care if your buddy wins or loses, you are going to hand over the money.” Drew was starting to sweat a little, he unfortunately forgot his posse of douschebags at home and was not looking forward to what was going to happen next. “Bro just take it easy man, how about win or lose, we just take off and forget about this whole thing? It was a good race.” Finally Drew could hear the roar of Aaron’s exhaust getting closer. Drew couldn’t think of what to do, the main guy was practically breathing down his throat and he could see one of the other guys was carrying something so he kneed the guy right in the groin and took off running as fast as he could toward Aaron. Aaron’s car screeched down to a mostly slow roll and with the three guys right behind him and the Neon pulling up, all Drew had time to do was try jumping in the rolled down window.
Later, after a long chase through the Cities, Aaron finally lost the Neon crew. When they got back to his house, Aaron woke his mom to take a look at Drew. He was hurting pretty bad, and was having a hard time breathing. Patty thought that maybe he had broken a rib or two. Turns out Drew’s first attempt at jumping into a moving car wasn’t so graceful after all. They got him wrapped up and put a beer in his hand, he would be alright. After the adrenaline started wearing off, Drew looked over at Aaron, “Dude, you can do whatever you want, but next time, I’m not down to follow.” They both laughed a little and Aaron apologized. “Maybe I’ll try picking up another job or something.”

1 comment:

  1. It shows that you put a lot of time in this. What I love here is how you've taken an obsession--muscle cars--and found a complex character in a realistic situation to build a story around. This is definitely worth developing.

    ReplyDelete