Monday, September 14, 2009

first sentence writing

Me and my brother Loftis came in by the old lady’s window. It was dark inside and very very quiet. Loftis assured me she was gone and nobody was home, but I was still unsure. I couldn’t believe I was doing this, but I was stuck now. I should have just shut my mouth when Loftis was talking about sneaking out tonight, but I wanted to impress him. “I’m not scared of nothing, can I please come.” When he told me no I just threatened to tell mom and dad and that was my ticket. So here we were breaking into the old lady’s house that never gave out candy at Halloween. I don’t even know how Loftis could know she was gone because her house was always dark. The only way anybody could tell that someone lived there was because every morning at 9:35 she was out in her garden behind the rarely mowed yard tucked beside her porch caring for her exotic looking flowers and plants. “I know she has my baseball in here somewhere that old crook.” I guess that’s how he justified the breaking in. As we took our first timid steps into the old house the floorboards creaked under our weight. The house was barren with sparse furniture scattered throughout. Beside the table was an old radio, but that was the only electronic to be found. “Where would it even be?” I asked. Loftis held a stern finger to his lips motioning for me to keep quiet. He was rummaging through drawers of a desk when there was a loud thud upstairs. We both froze and looked at each other. Shortly after the thud, both of us still frozen in place, we heard a screech come from upstairs. It was an odd sound, like a small animal stuck in a trap. I started to run, I didn’t know what was going on and I didn’t care. I was regretting being dragged into this mess and all I wanted was to be in my bed staring at the back of my eyelids. I got to the window that we had left open and Loftis grabbed me. “She sounds like she’s hurt” he whispered. “So, you know how much trouble are going to be in if anybody finds out we are here?” It didn’t matter Loftis started up the stairs and grabbed my arm to drag me with him. We heard a moan from the room at the end of the hall. “Ma’am?” I was trembling, but Loftis was in full control of himself like usual. Loftis knocked on the door, “Ma’am?” he said again. Still no response. He opened the door and we saw the old lady laying on the floor beside her bed. We went over to her, but she didn’t move or acknowledge that we were there. Loftis felt her neck. “Call mom and dad, I don’t know what to do.” Suddenly his voice was frightened. I had noticed a phone in the kitchen earlier and ran to it. Mom and dad got called the police then everything happened too fast to remember. We ended up saving the old ladies life that night, she had a heart attack and if we hadn’t gotten to her when we did, she probably wouldn’t have made it. After mom and dad found out that we had broken in to find a baseball however, it still didn’t stop them from grounding the both of us, and even though Loftis was the true hero, he got it worse than I did with no tv or dessert for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment